Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Welcome

Hey all! We're officially online. Let's blog!

I think our recent concerns of late:
Grand Theft Auto IV- How can something this degrading, harmful, violent be produced and even worse, be so popular? Do you not think that the illegal actions performed in this virtual reality will spill over into the real world? As people repeatedly "play" and become conditioned to the violence and horror, they begin to view reality differently and they begin to treat people around them differently. So, in reality, those of us who don't purchase this game and would never play a game like this, will suffer the consequences with those who choose to play. Our children will grow up with people who now believe the behaviors modeled in Grand Theft Auto IV are "normal" or

Miley Cyrus- Though we've personally never seen the show, or attended any concerts- all of my daughter's friends are faithful followers. It is such a disappointment that our society will not allow girls to be happy, sweet, and beautiful young ladies. Earlier, and earlier child-stars are sexualized and sensationalized- with their young audience watching and internalizing the message. If nothing else, this reminded me to not rely on Hollywood for role models and it reminded me to teach and discuss with my daughters what truly gives a young woman dignity, beauty, strength, happiness, and success.

Lastly, we're heading to Washington D.C. on May 19 to join with concerned citizens and groups nationwide and bring attention to the lack of enforcement of federal obscenity laws. We will ask lawmakers and government officials to prioritize the enforcement of federal obscenity laws. I am looking forward to this learning experience and opportunity to meet many people from across the country who share similar concerns and work tirelessly to make a difference.

4 comments:

Traci said...

I received an email today from Amercan Decency. They hit the nail on the head about with this quote about myspace:
Many many Christians and Christian organizations even host web pages on MySpace believing they can do so without harm to their Christian walk and witness. It is like thinking you can walk through an active sewer pipe and not come out smelling like sewage. ..."

OUR WILD ZOO! said...

I could not disagree with Traci's post more. I, in fact, am a Christian woman strongly planted in the Word of God. I have a myspace page. My page has had over 3,000 hits by myspace users. I have my testimony of what God has done in my life posted on my myspace page... and I believe His fruit shines brightly to those who are searching or lost. We also have organizations from our church who host outreaches to the unsaved on myspace. Did Jesus and his disciples "smell like sewage" while sharing the love of God with those lost and unsaved? I think judgements such as these are self righteous and sadly uneducated.

Traci said...

I appreciate that you are using myspace and technology in general for the right reasons- promoting goodness. Myspace has over 183,000,000 links or images of nudity. I know when I have had to use myspace to search for people for my upcoming reunion, I have run into my obscene materials that are offensive. Because I have viewed some of the images, unfortunately, it is hard to forget them. That is why, personally, I have made the choice to not use myspace as a networking tool. I am happy for you and that you are finding the success that you are using myspace. I appreciate your comment.

OUR WILD ZOO! said...

YES I could not agree more that myspace is a filthy place or dispute the numbers that you give for inappropriate images.
With that said, what better place to plant a little seed of God's promises and love? We are all called to different outreaches, based on our strengths and gifts. Scripture AND science prove that when light is present, darkness must move back. I'm not saying it's "world changing"...but the fact remains that darkness does shift and retreat in the presence of light.
I do not roam myspace for "networking" or "making friends". I have a simple myspace page (that thousands of people stumble across) which shines brightly of a life changed by God's Grace and Mercy. I have had some amazing opportunities with unsaved friends (who found me through myspace) and I stay true to my convictions and pure motive.
And with that I will say IF YOU'RE FOR JESUS, I'M WITH YOU! I love your site and appreciate your efforts.