Wednesday, May 14, 2008

How Can We Unify?

When I read about grand theft auto 4, the content seemed so terrible and repulsive that I couldn't believe that it wasn't illegal for everyone.  I thought of all of the problems and damage playing this game would have on children and subsequently, society.
Then I watched as it broke all records and made $500 million the first week it was released.  (In comparison, a major box office movie hit, like Spiderman, only makes about $150 million in a week.  But with a video game, people see it over and over and over and participate in it over and over and over.)  With the outrageous numbers of people buying this, I started to see the game as a symptom of bigger problems, not only a problem alone.
A symptom of problems like:
 1.  Where are the parents?!  I talked to a friend that has teenage sons and brought up the topic of this video game.  She said, " Oh yeah, is that the game that is selling out everywhere?  What iabout it?"  This is a person who would never approve of the content if she just paid attention enough to know what her children were consuming.  Parents either choose not to find out, don't take the time to find out, or are just scared and uninformed at what technology can do.
2.  The accessibility and marketing of p*rnography is now targeted to youth and children.  A child can access and participate in the most base and vile activity with a click of a button on a computer, phone, or gaming device.  And these industries are actively targeting and trapping children at every chance they get.  They link adult websites to children's gaming sites online.  They put adult content at web addresses that are close misspelling of things like disneyland.com and many others. These are only two of the numerous technological ways that adult content is targeted specifically to children for whom it is illegal to view!  That doesn't count the blatant target of games like grand theft auto to juvenile audiences.  Everyone knows that they are playing this game.
3.  The people, politicians, the parents, the laws, and society as a whole haven't unified and fought these horrific attacks on our children and families. Why?  Is it the almighty dollar?  Is it that the decent caring people of the US don't have a tv station, radio station, or a big screen to promote what we know is right and good?  Is it that adults get confused and sucked in by the glamour of Hollywood, a place that does everything it can to promote the sexualizing and glorifying of teenagers ignoring the consequences of dangerous decisions?  Is it that politicians listen to the adult content industry (masquerading as anything else) rather than the hard working moms and dads of this country?  Just a few ideas.

What are your ideas?  

3 comments:

stubz said...

With my video game insider point of view I can tell you that video game companies aren't out there to corrupt children. They are giving the people what they want.

I get news alerts from azfamily.com and east valley tribune. Here are the titles of 7 stories I've received today (just today).

"No charges for teacher suspected of student sex"
"Car wreck, double-suicide after border pursuit closes I-8"
"Two dead, one injured in wreck on EB I-10 at Riggs Rd"
"Agents arrest five men carrying weapons"
"Deadly shooting on I-17 off-ramp, four arrested"
"Avondale PD searching for assault, robbery suspect"
"Home invasion turns into shoot-out, kills one"

I wouldn't blame any one of these incidents on GTA4 but to the shift of moral responsibility from the home to some other entity (mostly government).

Erin said...

I just bought "The Sound of Music" and Taytum has been loving it. Nothing says "wholesome family entertainment" like this movie. But as I have been watching it, it got me thinking about the time of WWII and how the German people and many other Europeans were brainwashed into believing Hitler's propoganda about the Jewish people. Now I know that the Holocaust and the events that led up to it didn't happen overnight. Little by little Hitler was able to convince so many that the Jewish people were evil. Please tell me how he was able to get away with it?

I feel like our society is going down the same path. Little by little we are being led and made to believe that what was once thought as inappropriate and unacceptable is now the main stream. How can I, as one person make a difference? It is definately a daunting task but I know that enough good voices together can combat bad. And I know for sure that the first place I can start is in my own home.

JenJ said...

Good people across the country need a voice and a forum to be heard. A unifying common ground. Anyone want to buy a newspaper?