Thursday, February 26, 2009

SI One

Just when you think you've seen it all. . .Southwest Airlines has put a decal of a Sports Illustrated swim suit model on the ENTIRE airplane. This is just despicable. Do you know how Southwest Airlines views this? The title of their blog post is -Raising the Bar.

"This plane, N922WN, is wrapped with a temporary decal featuring the cover model, from the 2009 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. This definitely seals the deals on Southwest Airlines’ FUN and edgy factor!" (SWA blog)

Why does an airline business promote the Sports Illustrated Issue? There are serious problems with this. The obvious problems of sexualizing women and not protecting our young children from images.

I wanted to put a picture on this post, but I will spare you the image.

I appreciate some of the comments from the SWA blog:

I am a Southwest Pilot. I will not fly this plane. I am offended.

I am a SWA Employee and am disgusted and embrassed by this!!!!!!! To our SWA Customers...."I am sorry!"

This is not art, it's just plain old bad taste. I feel very sorry for the female employees of Southwest Air. This is just sign that it's time for me to sell my shares and get out of the airline business.

i agree with the other posters who believe that this was in poor taste. At some point we'll make the full connection that these types of images are damaging...attention getting, obviously, but overall they are demeaning and diminishing to women in our society.

No comments: